Friday, April 27, 2007

Once Upon A Portastudio



As you can see, everyone loves Snow White and her seven little friends. (Even in Italy where she is known as Bianca Neve (or something like that. This photo was taken at some kind of garden ornament center somewhere in mid-Italy).

So anyway, it was interesting to work on a show for young people which does a spin on the familiar fairy tales and characters. I've been working on the music for this show, ONCE UPON A FOREST, for over a month now. The music is almost complete and I'm currently working on sounds for wind and a dragon.

The script calls for everything from Celtic marches to period swing dances and suggestions of '60s pop. Obviously this is not your grandmother's fairy tale style, and creating the various styles and periods has been great fun.

My personal style also ranges from techno to retro. My creative/recording processes are the same. I work with a new Casio digital keyboard/work station, but I record with an fairly vintage (by now) Tascam 4-track analogue cassette recorded (which I just had serviced down near Disneyland).

Luckily everything worked for this project, as I am very prone to technical disasters when nearing the deadline for an important project.

As note in a previous post, the show is being produced by Open Stage of Harrisburg in May. See previous post for details.

No comments: